Wednesday, December 21, 2011

knitted Turbans... for babies!

This is both funny AND stylish! Turbans are coming back in a big way but how about this- Baby turbans! YAY! Who'da thunk it?


by the by, I want to eat that first baby... nom nom nom. yummy fat baby. :)
This particular turban pattern is for sale on pickles. But if your a knitter, I have found and included a free pattern of it (you're welcome):
I'm literally busting at the seams to make this! Baby hats are the BEST cause they are tiny and dont take so long to make... booya.

TURBAN
Cast on 60 stitches on small circular needles. 
US 5. Knit in the round.
K 1 round, P 1 round, K 1 round, P 1 round
K 7 
P 1 round, K 1 round, P 1 round
K 7 
P 1 round, K 1 round, P 1 round

On the next round, make the small turban knot like this:
K 30. Wind the yarn tightly around the work (all of what you´ve knitted so far) between the left and the right needle. Wind it about 10 times to make a knot. 
K 30.
K 1 round, and when you reach the stitch before you made the knot, K2tog. Tighten the yarn.
K 4 rounds.
P 1 round, K 1 round, P 1 round, K 1 round.

Decrease
K 5 rounds. Decrease 12 stitches evenly on the last round.
K 1 round, P 1 round, K 1 round, P 1 round
K 6 rounds. Decrease 12 stitches evenly on the last round.
K 1 round, P 1 round, K 1 round, P 1 round
K 6 rounds. Decrease 12 stitches evenly on the last round.

Finish

Use a needle and put it through the remaining stitches. Assemble.

I have a hard time reading knitting patterns and have a bad feeling about the knot part... This is where I need a bad ass knitting grandma to school me on how its done.

Baby turbans.. ha! What will they think of next...

6 comments:

  1. Love your knitted baby turban, but I would love to make one for myself. How would I convert the instructions in order to fit me????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, Hannah! I am so sorry that somehow, a thousand years later I have only just seen this! :(
    I am so sorry! I wish I knew how to convert knitting patterns but I am a novice and spend most of my time knitting muttering under my breath and trying not to stab myself with the needles out of frustration...am I the only one who does not find it 'soothing'?

    anyhoo, I found this on a blog which isnt a turban pattern, rather a knitted scarf that she shows you how to wrap it up into a turban (uh.. WAY easier)
    http://www.pickles.no/winter-turban/

    But as far as patterns, I was only able to find one for a crocheted turban, maybe this will be useful to you?
    http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/cpatt22.htm

    sorry I am not much help, but during my search I DID find a pattern for an old timey aviators cap- FUN.
    http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt07.htm

    best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I'm not sure. I got it off of the website pickles and she doesn't say, my guess is that it is for ages 0-1 or something similar, but without making it I wouldn't know for sure (plus some babies are going to have smaller heads than others so I'm sure it varies from child to child.:)

    The website I got it from is here:

    http://www.pickles.no/lazy-daisy-baby-jacket/

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the girl in the leopard print jeans: I found it out! the turban is for 3-6 months!

    ReplyDelete